Let’s face it — moving from one place to another is a stressful event. Many reports say that it is more stressful than diverse or breakup. However, there are some ways that can help you make your move less stressful.
The secret of a stress-free and successful move is having the best plan. Good preparation will keep you stay organized. So, keep a good moving checklist in place to ensure an efficient and less stressful move.
- 1 15 Don’ts When Moving House
- 1.1 1. Don’t kick off the shifting process without a clear plan.
- 1.2 2. Don’t consider a DIY move when moving from one city/state to another.
- 1.3 3. Don’t accept moving estimates over the phone call or by email.
- 1.4 4. Don’t hire a company that offers you the cheapest price.
- 1.5 5. Don’t wait for the last-minute booking of packers and movers.
- 1.6 6. Don’t hire a moving company without verifying them.
- 1.7 7. Don’t use expensive packing supplies.
- 1.8 8. Don’t start packing without a packing plan.
- 1.9 9. Don’t postpone packing until the last minute.
- 1.10 10. Don’t pack your belongings without sorting them.
- 1.11 11. Don’t be miser on padding supplies used for fragile protection.
- 1.12 12. Don’t sign any contract without thoroughly reviewing it.
- 1.13 13. Don’t allow movers to pack your valuables.
- 1.14 14. Don’t move old furniture to your new home.
- 1.15 15. Don’t move without insurance for your belongings.
- 2 Concluding Thoughts
15 Don’ts When Moving House
There are several things that you need to make your move safe and hassle-free. In this article, I will not talk about them. Instead, I will talk about what you do not need to. So, follow these house moving don’ts so that you cannot get into trouble on your move.
1. Don’t kick off the shifting process without a clear plan.
Brainstorm to create the best action plan. Organize a perfect move with a good moving checklist. Put everything on a timeline so that you can do every task on time.
2. Don’t consider a DIY move when moving from one city/state to another.
A long-distance relocation is risky and expensive. To avoid damage and expenses to cover that, hire an experienced moving company. A good moving company will securely pack your belongings and transfer them to your desired location on time.
3. Don’t accept moving estimates over the phone call or by email.
Instead, schedule a pre-move survey to get in-home estimates. Make sure to get the estimates from at least three companies. Always, accept written estimates.
4. Don’t hire a company that offers you the cheapest price.
A low-bidding mover can cheat you. They may ask you for more money before delivering your possessions. Instead, hire a company that offers you the relocation services at a realistic and reasonable price.
5. Don’t wait for the last-minute booking of packers and movers.
Do it earlier to avoid the rush and additional charges. Also, you may not find a suitable moving company at the last minute.
6. Don’t hire a moving company without verifying them.
Make sure your movers are licensed, registered, and experienced. Visit their offices, inquire with their past customers, and go online to check their reviews and ratings.
7. Don’t use expensive packing supplies.
As an alternative, use old newspapers, towels, linens, soft toys, suitcases, and travel bags. Collect used boxes from your local grocery stores, chemists, liquor shops, and appliance stores. Make sure you collect free boxes in good condition.
8. Don’t start packing without a packing plan.
Keep a packing checklist in place to track the progress. Remember, packing is a difficult task. If you cannot pack things by yourself, let your movers pack on your behalf.
9. Don’t postpone packing until the last minute.
You do not know what time it will take. The packing process may take more time than your assumption. So, start packing as early as possible. This will also save you from the last-minute packing hassles.
10. Don’t pack your belongings without sorting them.
Take time to sort your belongings before embarking on the packing task. Get rid of anything that you no longer need. Sell or donate surplus or least used items.
11. Don’t be miser on padding supplies used for fragile protection.
Using towels, liens, old newspapers, and soft toys is an excellent way to save money on expensive padding supplies. But you do not need to skimp on bubble wrap and packing paper. Bubble wrap and packing paper are the best supplies for packing extra fragile items like dishware and stemware.
12. Don’t sign any contract without thoroughly reviewing it.
When hiring a moving service, your mover will give you a contract to sign. Read it before signing. If you don’t understand anything, ask movers for clarification. Make sure there are no hidden charges in the estimates. Also, don’t sign any blank documents.
13. Don’t allow movers to pack your valuables.
No matter how trustworthy your movers and packers seem, don’t entrust them entirely. Pack your valuables on your own. Also, don’t put your valuables on the moving truck. Move them by yourself.
14. Don’t move old furniture to your new home.
When moving to a new home, you may also need to carry your furniture. If your furniture pieces do not have sentimental value, then don’t move them. Sell them. This will earn cash and minimize the moving cost too. Sometimes, it can be cheaper to buy new furniture than to transport them. So, make a wise decision.
15. Don’t move without insurance for your belongings.
The process of house shifting is a risky affair. Your goods may get damaged in transit. If you move without insurance, movers won’t compensate you. You will need to bear it. So, ensure that your moving company offers you the insurance. If they don’t, buy it.
I hope you learn some great tips on moving. I am pretty sure that these tips will make your move less stressful. If you liked my ideas, then please share this article on your social media handles. Sharing it may help others.